Whether or not you like it, the next installment of Assassin’s Creed is coming, and it’s based on an assassin-trained pirate named Edward Kenway. Some may recognize the last name from Assassin’s Creed III, and indeed, Edward Kenway is the father of Haytham Kenway (there’s your connection story-wise).
In terms of historical events that the game will feature, there are quite a few that Ubisoft aims to include within the game. In the leaked trailer, we witness Edward taking down a fleet of 42 Portuguese battleships, and it seems like the Spanish Armada wreck of 1751 will also play a key role in the new story. We’ll be seeing quite a few naval battles this time around, a feature that was highly acclaimed in Assassin’s Creed III, and Ubisoft hopes to be able to redfine piracy in the modern era.
Speaking of which, settings will include the Caribbean and 50 unique locations ranging from city architectures, forts, fishing villages, and even jungles. Additionally, a feature that is new to the Assassin’s Creed franchise, you’ll be able to explore underwater regions, and all regions will (technically) be unlocked from the very start. Of course, in order to access certain regions, you’ll have to have special equipment to bypass enemy ships.
The three majors areas, however, are Havana, Nassau, and Kingston. You’ll spend roughly 60% of your time on land based missions, with the other 40% presumably either in the sea or underwater.
Also, your ship, the Jackdaw, can be upgraded and customized to your liking, which you can do by scouring the lands for various ship parts and such to help you reach new locations. Once you set sail, you’ll have a crew behind your every move, and a new push to help you better interact with your crew will be set in place. As the captain of the Jackdaw, you’ll have to ensure that your crew is happy, and if you don’t, you’ll be forced to brave the seas forever alone (not really). If customizing your ship wasn’t enough, you may be happy to know that you’ll also customize your crew (no other details really given).
During naval battles, you’ll be able to board another ship by leaping from mass to mass, and then performing air assassinations as necessary. You’ll be able to freely choose to either attack an enemy ship, or simply pass it by; the battles aren’t scripted, so the choice to fight is yours.
And what of the previous modern day protagonist? Well, Desmond has kicked the bucket, and now you, the player, star on your own adventure with Edward Kenway as your ancestor.
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is set to launch on November 1, 2013 (according to the Edward Kenway trailer), and will be on all major home console platforms, as well as next generation consoles! This includes XBOX 360, PS3, Wii U, next generation XBOX, PS4, and, of course, PC.